What to see and visit in Ciudad Real?
Region of La Mancha: world-renowned thanks to the great work of Miguelde Cervantes and his Don Quixote.
Almost all of its towns or municipalities, its vast plains are cited in the book. Its mills, its wines, its La Mancha cheese, its gastronomy, make this region a pleasure for the visitor.
Composed of the following municipalities: Alcázar de S. Juan, Arenas de S. Juan, Argamasilla de Alba, Campo de Criptana, Herencia, Las Labores, Manzanares, Membrilla, Pedro Muñoz, Puerto Lapice, Socuéllanos, La Solana, Tomelloso, Valdepeñas, Vilarrubia de los Ojos, Vilaltarta de San Juan, Arenales de San Gregorio, Llanos del Caudillo.
The Wine Route and the Don Quixote RouteThey run through this region, being able to visit up to 130 towns tasting good wines and eating in their well-known "sales" and restaurants.
Alcazar of San Juan
It has about 32,000 inhabitants. Its origins are prehistoric; its name was imposed by the Arabs.
- Archaeological site of Alces: Roman remains of a village on the outskirts of the town.
- Church of Santa Maríala Mayor: it was built between the 13th and 15th centuries (year 1226). It was built on the remains of a Roman temple. It is in the Romanesque style, although its Cover is in a Renaissance style. Highlights: its baroque style table and the Camarín de la Virgen, in the baroque style made in the mid-s. XVIII with tiles from Talavera.
- Churches of Santa Quiteria: construction during the 16th and 17th centuries. It is in the baroque-classicist style.
- Manchegas manor houses: built between the XVII to XIX centuries.
- Monument to Don Quixote and Sancho Panza: Spain Square
- Tower palace of the Grand Prior of the Hospitallers: The palace was demolished and only the Torreón de Don Juan de Austria remains, or Torre del Gran Prior, which was built in 1386. What was the palace chapel, houses the MuseumJuan of Austria , which exhibits a collection of Roman mosaics. It was declared of National Tourist Interest.
- Church of La SantísimaTrinidad: built during the 17th and 18th centuries with a baroque façade.
- Church of san francisco: part of a Franciscan convent.
- Convent of Santa Clara: (16th century)
- Windmills: typical of the La Mancha region.
It has about 14,000 inhabitants. It is famous for its windmills and its vast plains.
- The wind mills: There are 10. They were declared Monuments of National Artistic Historical Interest in 1995.
- Archeological sites: Cristo de Villajos, La Hidalga, Montón de Trigo, Hollows of Cristo de Villajos, Hermitage of Our Lady of Criptana, Pozosde Villalgordo, Huerta de Treviño, La Atalaya, Cave del Pollo, Huerta Cueva del Bajo and El Real
- Sanctuary of the Virgen de Criptana: It was built in the 16th century, but has had to be rebuilt on various occasions (in 1832 and in the 1940s).
- Hermitage of the Virgen de la Paz: built in the 16th century, its interiors have a single nave covered by a barrel vault that over the presbytery becomes an arista vault.
- Hermitage of Veracruz: built in 1573. It consists of a single rectangular plant.
- Hermitage of the Mother of God: it was built in the seventeenth century.
- Hermitage of Santa Ana: built in 1575, its floor plan is of a Latin cross and covered.
- Carmelitas Convent Church: It was built in 1598. The primitive Discalced Carmelite Convent that stood on the old hermitage of Santiago.
Arenas de San Juan
Through its municipality the Calzadaromana passed, which linked Córdoba with Tarragona. It is located in the environment of Tables of Daimiel. (see Natural Parks in Ciudad RealIt is bathed by the Gigüela river.
- Church of Santa María de las Angustias: it was built in the late 12th or early 13th century. In the Romanesque Mudejar style, it was declared of Artistic Historical Interest in 1976.
- House of the Tercia: emblazoned house built at the beginning of the 18th century.
It has about 18,500 inhabitants. Known for its annual and Regional Fair of the Field and of Samples (FERCAM) and the "Lazarillo" Theater Festival.
- Pilas Bonas Castle: Built by the Order of Calatrava to ensure the domain of its site, in 1293. Declared a Monument of Historical-Artistic Interest in 1979.
- Church of Our Lady of the Assumption: built in the late fourteenth or early fifteenth century. It consists of a single nave with a chambered apse and a tower at its feet. Its tower, which consists of three bodies, stands out and is decorated in the apse with canvases, the work of the local painter Antonio Iniesta. It was declared B. I. C. with the category of Monument in 1991.
- Hermitage of the Vera Cruz: It houses the images of the Christ of the True Cross, who is the patron saint of Manzanares, Nuestro Padre Jesús delPerdón.
- Hermitage of San Antón, Hermitage of the Virgen de laPaz, Hermitage of San Blas: built in the 15th century.
- Great theater: headquarters of Theater Festival "Lazarillo"It was built in 1911 and later restored.
- Paradorde Turismo de Manzanares: it was built in 1929. (click the link).
Villarrubias de los Ojos
Its origins are in the Bronze Age 1,500 BC. It is located 3 km from them Tables of Daimiel, in the Sierra de la Calderita and in the foothills of the Montes de Toledo. (see Natural Parks in Ciudad Real).
- Montilla de Zuacorta deposit,
- Roman site: Ojosdel Guadiana, Xetar, Renales, El Lote,
- Sanctuary of the Virgen de la Sierra
- Church of Our Lady of the Assumption
- San IsidroLabrador Museum
- Sánchez-Gijón House
- Hermitage of San Cristóbal
- Hermitage of San Isidro
- Convent and Church of the Poor Clare Nuns
It has about 1,100 inhabitants. A world-famous town thanks to the adventures of Don Quixote. It limits with the province of Toledo.
- Sale of Don Quixote: typical Manchegan sale for the aforementioned book. It is located in the Plaza de la Constitución, built all of wood and supports in the La Mancha style.
- Parish of Our Lady of Good Council: Renaissance style with Romanesque elements.
- Hermitage of San Isidroy Hermitage of San José.
It has about 32,000 inhabitants. Its economy is based on winemaking and agriculture.
- Church of the Assumption of Our Lordto: built in the 16th century and subsequently reformed. Inside the temple an altarpiece of Our Lady of Peace is preserved.
- Posada de los Portales: An old inn, which shows the popular architecture of yesteryear. Nowadays it is a cultural center. The inn was built in the 17th century and highlights the baluster galleries typical of the comedy corrals. Declared a Historic-Artistic Monument
- Drum: rural construction, particular to Tomellosand its surroundings, conceived to house the farmers, animals and farm implements, when the tasks of the fields forced them to remain on the ground for weeks.
It has about 26,000 inhabitants. It is located on some rocks, between the Aguzaderay Prieta, Sierra Morena, and Alcaraz mountains. Its economy is based on agriculture and the wine industry. Valdepeñas Wine Denomination of Origin. The village has some beautiful old houses, neo-Mudejar style.
- Hill of the Heads: Archaeological site, located south of the city of Valdepeñas. It has an area of 14 hectares, being crowned by a plateau-shaped hill, where the necropolis is located.
- Municipal Museum of Valdepeñas: located in a 16th century house. It exhibits archeology, sculpture and painting.
- Spain Square: It is the nerve center of the town. It is a typical La Mancha square where the facades stand out with their indigo or blue and lime colors, with three of its arcaded sides, and the fourth is occupied by the Church of the Assumption. In the square we find the town hall neoclassical style.
- Church of Our Lady of the Assumption: it is from the 13th century, it stands on the remains of the old castle of the Calatravay Santiago knights, demolished in the 15th century by decree of the Catholic Monarchs. ", from the 15th century and dedicated to the Assumption; and the "Door of the Catechumens", of Romanesque style and framed by a lintel with the image of the Pieta. The bell tower is from the 16th century.
- Church of the Holy Christ of Mercy: from the seventeenth century, baroque style, the greatest interest falls on the decoration of the vault and basement, geometric and decorative type. It is declared a Monument of Local Interest.
- Hermitage of the Vera Cruzy Hermitage of San José.
It has about 8,000 inhabitants. It is located in the Guadiana basin, the Záncara river and has a privileged situation due to its permanent and seasonal endorreic salty lagoons. It was founded in the 13th century by the Order of Calatrava.
- Roman bridge: on the Záncara river.
- Parish Church of San Pedro Apóstol: it began to be built in 1699 and ended in 1718. It is in the Renaissance style. It has a Latin cross plan with low bodies attached between the corners of the transept and a square tower
- Bass Drums: typical constructions of the region, which were used to shelter prawns, grain and animals.
- Hermitage of Our Lady of the Angels, Hermitage of San Isidro, Hermitage of San Miguel.
- Several manor houses in Manchegas: Casa de laPaca, from the 17th century; Casa delas Julitas; House of the Menaut, House of the FernándezCuellar; Barn House.
- Church of Our Lady of the Assumption: built in the 16th century in Gothic style.
- Town hall: located in the Plaza de la Constitución, the nerve center of the city.
- House of the Encomienda: belonged to Don Antonio Mendoza, Viceroy of Mexico and Peru.
- House of the Inquisition.
- Municipal park.
|More information about Ciudad Real|
|Comarcas Ciudad Real|