Formenterais a one-hour boat trip away from Ibiza.It is a very peaceful, quiet island covering an area of 85 kms2. It is completelyflat apart from the raised part in the West of the island known as the Sa Mola.Parts of the coastline are still natural including some of its beaches. The onlyindustry that exists on the island is salt mining.
Formentera has apopulation of approximately 5,300 and is divided into 5 areas: Sant Francesc Xavier, Sant Ferrán de Ses Roques, El Pilar de la Mola, Sa Savina and Es Pujols.There area also two smaller, nearby islands: Espalmador and Espardell
The capital is Sant Francesc. The most important port is Sa Savina, 3 kms from the capital. Although it is possible to hire cars on the islands, visitors areasked to use bicycles to visit the island in an attempt to keep pollution to aminimum.
It has a warm Mediterranean climate and its own ecosystem. Theisland has lots of vegetation, including many pine forests, flowers and fauna. Something which stands out is how its inhabitants have incorporated nature intotheir way of living, converting rocks or trees into monuments or decorative features.
Like the other Balearic islands, Formentera has two official languages -Catalan and Spanish.
History of Formentera
The island has been inhabited for 4000 years. Over its history it has been occupied by theGreeks (8 B.C.), theCartagens, the Romans (2 B.C.) the Vandals, the Bizantines, the Godos, the Normans and the Moors who helpeddevelop the island's agricultureand irrigation.
In 1235 it was conquered by the Christians and placed underthe control of Jaime I, king of Aragon. Throughout its history Formentera been a gateway for pirates due to its strategic location.
Sant Francesc Xavier, capital of Formentera: All official buildings and central services can befound here. What is curious about this small capital is that it is surrounded by the sea on one side and and two large lakes on the other: Es Estany des Peix and Es Estany Pudent, something which makes it quite spectacular.
Placesto visit in the capital
- The fortified church: built in1729., located in the 'plaza principal' (the princial square).
- The Ethnological Museum: (opening hours Monday to Saturday 10.00 to 14.00) C / Jaime I. You can see objects such as antique household utensils, wine presses, tools, musical instruments ... and more.
Hotels in Formentera
- Club Hotel Riu La Mola (****): situated on the beach front in Copinaren la Mola.
- Insotel Club Formentera Playa (****): situatedon the beach front - Playa Migjorn.
- Sa Volta (**): situatedin Es Pujols. (c / Miramar, 94, Tel: 971 32 81 25) a modest, but good hotel situated on the beach front in a touristic location - the rooms have balconies overlooking the sea.
Places to visit on the island
- Cap de Barbaria: 7 kms from Sant Francesc, it has a tower and lighthouse built in the 18th century.
- It is Farde Sa Mola: This lighthouse is located on the highest point of the island.
- Ca Na Costa: A stone circle thought to be a megalithic tomb - 1800to 1600 B.C. Near to the capital, Sant Francesc and the only one to be discoverdon the Balearic Islands.
- The Can Bla Campi: Remainsof a Roman settlement in Sa Caló.
- Beaches : Mitgjorn (in the south), Tramontana (in the east), Cala Saona (in the west). Sa Roqueta, EsArenals; Illetes, Llevant, Es Pujols, Es Caló, Cala d'en Baster (in thenorth).
- Pas d'Es Trocadors: A thin strip of land between Illetasand Llevant beaches opposite s'Espalmador island.
- S'Espalmador Island: Thistiny island has some marvellous beaches, a lighthouse and fresh water springs.
- Ses Salinas Natural Park
- Dunar de Migjorn system
- Arts and crafts In Formentera you can find jewelery, accessories, ceramics, artwork, clothes and much more. You can buy modern designs as well as more typical, handmade products from the island. In La Mola market you can get woollen handmade jerseys typical to Formentera and other art and craftwork.
|Traveling to Formentera? The following links may also be useful|
|Guides provinces borderingwith Formentera and beautifulplaces in Spain nearby|